Text Box:                       
Text Box: Sikeston Knights History
Text Box: January, 1948—A group assembled from Cape Girardeau and Sikeston to start the St. Francis Xavier Council of the Knights of Columbus.

October, 1948—The presentation of our charter was held with over 100 guests present. The charter was inscribed with the names of the 51 charter members. The K.C. Bulletin lists the following as members of the Program Committee: General Program Chairman—John McKeone, Catholic Activities Chairman—Father Francis Matyas, Fraternal Activities Chairman—Bernard Seyer, Council Activities Chairman—Joseph Schaefer, Membership Chairman—Wes Schuchart, and Publicity—Ed Schmidt.

November, 1948—The Columbus Club was incorporated with plans discussed to build a Knights of Columbus Hall.

December, 1948—Lots were purchased on Tanner Street on which to build the new K C Hall. The first Christmas party was held.

January, 1949—Brothers William Paylor and Lawrence Luber were introduced at the regular meeting.

March, 1951—Construction of the new K C Hall was begun. Our council held the first free bingo party for the patients at the Veterans Hospital in Poplar Bluff. This activity was carried on for many years and coordinated by Brother Paul Clark of the Poplar Bluff Council.

February, 1952—The new building was completed.

October, 1952—A formal dedication of our new council hall was held with 165 people attending.

March, 1957—Father Dismas Clark conducted A Da of Recollection. Father Clard was well known at the time for his work with prisoners.

February, 1962—Seven scouts from Troop #146 received the Ad Altare Dei award. Our council sponsored thie troop with Brother Bill Pinnell as their first Scoutmaster. A Degree was held with the class being named in honor of the late Msgr. J.J. O’Neill.

December, 1972—An admission degree was conferred on the following:  Arthur Zeigler, Andy Dirnberger, Tony Heckemeyer, Sam Hunter, Terry Dame, Thomas Nunnelee, William Hampton and Richard Wrather.

April, 1973—A number of improvements were made on the hall and grounds in preparation for the celebration of our 25th anniversary to be held in May. According to the minutes of the meetings in March and April the rest rooms were remodeled, some painting was done both inside and outside and the drive and parking area were black topped. Brother Vernon Buck was chairman of the House Committee and in charge of the work. Wilfred Scherer did the painting of the outside trim.

May, 1973—The 25th Anniversary Celebration was held at the Knights of Columbus Hall.

June, 1973—District Deputy P.J. Schlosser proposed a vote of thanks for Grand Knight Jim Turner. During his two years as Grand Knight 21 new members joined the council and the hall has been fixed up inside and out.

October, 1973—This was the first year our council participated in the Tootsie Roll Sales. Two roadblocks were held, one at Main and Malone and one at Kingshighway and Murray Lane.

April, 1977—Brother P.J. Schlosser of our council was elected to the office of State Treasurer.

June, 1977—An appreciation day for the Clergy and Nuns of our area was held on the Feast of Corpus Christus. Twelve councils in the area cooperated in the program. The afternoon began with a talk by Father Al Hoernig CM President, St. Vincent’s College followed by a talk by Bishop Bernard Law. Mass was celebrated with a dinner afterwards.

January, 1983—A Special Meeting was called to discuss some major remodeling of the hall. Motions were made and passed to remodel the heating system and add ducts, panel the walls with cypress and put in a suspended ceiling. This is the way the main hall remains today with the addition of a new floor.

June, 1985—The Columbus Care Center began taking clients. By July the Center was averaging about 20 clients per day and a contract had been signed for the 1985-86 year with the state. Brother Bill Paylor was responsible for the Council obtaining the Center.

October, 1987—A major remodeling project has been completed. An addition was built on the back of the building to square it off with the kitchen. New bathrooms were added along with a sign on the building.

July, 1989—A plaque is to be presented to Brother Paul Norton for his service to the church as usher for fifty years. Brother Norton was also Financial Secretary for the council for many years.

June, 1995—A check in the amount of $10,000.00 was presented to Msg. Stanton for the renovation of the Catholic School.
Text Box: Sikeston Knights

Text Box: Sikeston Knights